Monday 11 March 2013

Wpg Free Press: Letters

This letter was published in the Winnipeg Free Press today (March 11).  After yesterday's Just Living meeting, during which we expressed the hope of finding allies in other faith groups to stand up in favour of Bill 18, this letter is very encouraging.  And ... there is a connection to Augustine.  The writer's daughter,  Maggie, attends Augustine regularly with her kids.

"I had hoped that your reporter had misquoted the preacher in his March 7 story 'Sermon rips anti-bullying bill'.  But I listened to the whole sermon on the church's website and, to my dismay, found his words as reported.

As a Christian and a pastor in an evangelical Christian church, I realize that the pastor's words reflect on me by association, and I feel compelled to declare that I am ashamed of what he said.

I believe that he has misrepresented the faith we share and has presented a distorted reading of both the Bible and of the society in which Bill 18 is needed.  He has brought the church into disrepute.  This sermon is destined to become an example for the negative definition of 'bully pulpit'.  

Dan N.

And here's another one, while we're at it:

I am a straight, 20 year-old female Christian and I completely agree with Bill 18.  I, along with many other Christians, am ashamed of the horrendous portrayal of the Christian religion in the media.

I would like to apologize for the judgment and hate towards the LGBT community.  As a Christian, I believe that respect is the bottom line for everyone.  It doesn't matter who you are - bullying is always wrong.

Bethany E.

Notes:  
  1. The majority of the letters in today's Free Press write in favour of Bill 18, and oppose the message of Ray Duerksen (Southland Church, Steinbach). 
  2. While both of these writers were identified in the Free Press by their last names, full last names are not used in the Just Living blog, to protect personal identities from being 'googled'.

No comments:

Post a Comment